Thursday, November 17, 2011

Theresa D. about Values in a Career

This week in Practicum, I did not go out and I was in the classroom. We continued to make our flowers and we created another petal. It was our fourth petal. This petal was all about our values. Values are something that is important to a person. Values can be characteristics that you like about yourself, not just materialistic things. In order to help us realize our values, we did an activity about values. The activity said to imagine that you died and there was a group of people gathered at a table looking back at your life. They said things about your accomplishments and what kind of a person you were. We then had to check off of a list the things we would want people to remember us for after we die. I ended up checking off ten things on the list. We did a prioritizing sheet to figure out what values were the most important to us and my results were correct. After that, we put as many of these values that we could fit onto our petal. I can’t wait to finish my flower!

From this activity, I learned a lot about myself. I learned what I value most in my life. I also learned what I want people to remember me for and what kind of person I am. The thing that I value the most ended up being to do something that everyone said was not possible. This can help me to save lives in my future career as a nurse.