Thursday, November 3, 2011

Jocelyn K's Experience in Physical Therapy and Athletico

This past week in practicum was great as usual! On Saturday last weekend, I went to Athletico for physical therapy. It was very exciting to go to the field that I would really like to go into. Then on Tuesday, I went across the street to Resurrection Hospital for my last placement at physical therapy there. It is upsetting to know that I am very close to finishing up my few placements that are left. On Thursday, I stayed at school because I will be going to Athletico again tomorrow morning for my placement. I learned that when I go into physical therapy I would prefer to work at a place more like Athletico rather than a hospital. I believe I felt more comfortable at Athletico rather than the hospital. However, I still enjoyed my experience at Resurrection Hospital.

The thing that I enjoyed most this past week in practicum was my placement at Athletico. I enjoyed Athletico because I got a great experience and had a wonderful hands-on experience. The physical therapists definitely gave me some great advice and taught me a lot bout this career. The thing I did not enjoy was not being able to go out on Thursday in the field. I really enjoy going into the field and wish I could get more placements to fill in the slots that I will be making up on the weekends and after school. This past week I worked with Amy Kuczera, a physical therapist, at Athletico. Also, at the hospital I worked with physical therapist Nicole, who also happens to be the practicum connection.

In my placement I observed that as a physical therapist you need to have patience and be able to multitask. I believe I have the patience required for this field and have plenty of experience with multitasking. My experiences helped me grow as a person because I learned about the different struggles people go through with injuries. I grew as a student because I learned a lot about the different reasons why people have to go for physical therapy. I grew as a young adult nearing high school graduation through my experiences because I learned more about the profession I would like to go into even more then I already knew. I feel great after all of my experiences this week my time in practicum has only helped my passion for physical therapy grow stronger.