Thursday, November 3, 2011

Monica M.'s Experience at the Vet

This week for practicum I went to TLC Vet. I got to see a dog having surgery and a tooth extraction. I felt bad for the dog, but also calm knowing that the dog will be okay and better than ever. As cool as it was to see some real action in the vet’s office, I would probably hate having to do surgery. I would feel too bad for the animal even though after surgery they would be back to normal. Seeing an animal in pain makes me feel so sad, but once they are healed it would be a good feeling knowing that I helped them. Like the last time I shadowed and this time I shadowed the same people. Dr. Sue, Dr. Monica, and the tech Wayne. They were nice and helping me understand what was going on and why they were doing it. Like a vet I would love to help and save animals from any kind of pain, but some of the ways to help seem hard. As a person I have had a more hands on experience with the animals at a vet’s office not by doing, but by observing and asking questions to get a real feel for the job and whether or not I would like to have it as a career. If I really choose to become a vet then there will be a lot of schooling and a lot of stress because of the pressure to help the animal quickly and efficiently. Whether people choose to be a people doctor or an animal doctor both field are hard and full of stress. Being a vet may seem fun, but there is a lot of work behind it even though you can spend all day with animals that you love.