Thursday, November 3, 2011

Danielle F's Event Planner and Retirement Center Experience

This week in Practicum I went to Victoria Banquets and the Resurrection Retirement Center. I thought that this week was awesome! I got to experience a job that I never knew anything about and it was just fun to learn about. At Victoria Banquets, I met an event planner named Tracey Power who is in charge of the front of the house which is dealing with the party and figuring out the costs and what type of menu the party would like to have. Another head guy, Eric Gazda, is in charge of the back of the house. That is the part where he makes sure that everything during the party is running smoothly from the kitchen and the meals to making sure the DJ is there on time and everything is set up correctly. According to Tracey, he is the guy that makes everything happen. I learned that for this job I have to be a very extroverted person and I have to be able to be patient with customers and be willing to have an open mind. I also have to be able to work with others and work a good deal out. I think I could do this job but I have to be on call at anytime and it can be a stressful job if you get behind.

At the Retirement Center, I helped an elderly woman, Frances Kelly, work her Ipad and show her how to send emails and what not. This honestly did require a lot of patience and repeating. She loved to tell me stories and show me pictures of her family. I loved it here and I didn't want to leave but unfortunately I had to. I made a new friend while being here. I could do this job because I love to teach people how to do something but I really have to try and be patient. I'm not an automatically patient person, but if it's for a good cause I think I could. After reviewing my week in the field, I was so happy with the accomplishments I've made as well as listening to the accomplishments of the people at Victoria Banquets and how they serve the needs of others. I really do wish I could have shadowed an actual meeting with clients though but then again it is a private thing. I can't wait to go in the field again next week!