Thursday, November 3, 2011

Shannon C's Experience with Human Resources

This week in Practicum I was out in the field once and then we were in the class room for the other day.

While the class was in the library during class time we researched different fields of engineering and other top jobs of the future. When I was researching about engineering it really surprised me about how much engineering ties in with everyday life. Also, when I researched the different popular jobs you would be surprised with the different industries that these jobs were in.

When I was out in the field I went downtown again to Locke Lord Bissell LLP. I met with Jean Bouslog who is the Director of Human Resources at that law firm. Luckily, she has worked at many other different jobs within the law firm before her Director position and was able to share a lot of that knowledge with me. She explained the direction that she recommended I take in college majors also which I really thought was interesting. She explained how she is the main problem solver of this global firm, and how things should get done. I just love that whole atmosphere of being downtown in a law office, and I know it is exactly what I want to do.
To be completely honest, I think the whole “cool” atmosphere of the building and the people is really what intrigued me the most this week; I really got to see what I want in my future. Again and again, the natural leadership role comes out in each profession that I am looking into and it intrigues me more each time.

As a student I learned time management skills, such as being able to take the train on time, getting to the meeting on time and also making a good first AND last impression on the mentor. I learned that just because you may start off small does not mean that you will not be someone very important one day.