Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Lauren R.: Police and Future

This week in Practicum, we worked mostly in the classroom. We talked a lot about our skill stories, sharing them with the other girls. After reading, they would tell you what types of skills they heard in the stories. I found this interesting, because they pointed out a lot of things that I had not realized myself. We thought about our top fields of interests, which made me really think about my future. Technology and being a police officer are my top two career choices as of now, so it was interesting to see what I would get. My top ones included legal services, mental health, and entertainment. And after my experience at the Police station this week, I see where legal services come in.

At the station, we shadowed Sargent Haran in 16th district. He was extremely nice and gave us a great tour of the station, along with telling a lot of stories of his experiences. A lot of my roles and skills in my flower connect directly to being a police officer, such as being investigative, protector, extrovert, leader, my top interest being Legal Services. I always wanted to become a police officer, but knew after the tour that it was something I can see myself doing as a real career, and I am excited to see where my life will lead me until I can take the test when I'm 25.

After re-reading my reflection, I can see that I had a good week and am finally seeing everything in this program come together. It has really helped me in crossing off potential careers, and possibly leading me to a new one.