Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Danielle F. at the Retirement Center and Police Dept.

This week in Practicum I did a lot! I started at the Resurrection Retirement Center and helped the elderly with email and word processing programs! I really enjoyed that because the people there are so nice and it requires teaching me patience, which I don't have very much of.

Also, in class, we wrote thank you cards to the places and people we shadowed during our time in Practicum. It was fun but a lot of work especially for me because I'm a really slow writer and everything has to be precise or it bothers me. I'm glad we had time in class to do this because it shows we really give credit and a big thanks to the people that took us in and let us shadow during their busy days.

I really wanted to add this part of my week in this blog because I was so fascinated with it! I went to the Police Department on Saturday and I thought it was so cool. I was shown around the lock up and how criminals were processed and booked. Also, I sat at the front desk and listened and watched people make reports. Some of these reports were interesting and quite unusual. The coolest part of my stay was getting to go on a computer and look around the bad areas of the city of Chicago through the POD cameras. I saw two drug deals from a different district! Highlight of my day. Really, I think that would be a perfect job for me to be in because I can just see myself working there. My personality fits right in and I just love the atmosphere and the idea of getting to fight crime and helping people's lives. The environment was so inviting and exciting that I just wanted to live there. I listened in on the 7 am roll call where everyone was given an assignment and the second watch checked in after the first watch of midnight. I can't wait for my career to come into terms with my life!