Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Teresa K. Observing Labor and Delivery at the Hospital

This week went by so fast. As a class, we accomplished a lot. We were in the classroom and out in the field. We added another circle to our flower sheet, showing what we want others to think of us. I went into the field this week. I went to Family birth. It was such an amazing experience. I was able to see a lady give birth. She was in so much pain. But seeing her face and her husbands face when they saw their baby for the first time was priceless. They were so happy! They were both crying of joy. They had a baby girl that they named Emma. She was so tiny. I was able to see them clean the baby up and stamp her tiny feet onto the birth certificate. I saw how they weighed her. They put a cute little pink hat on her. I was able to go see other babies that were a few days old. This one other baby had the same name as me.

I have learned that I am a people person. I try to get along with everyone. I really liked being in this part of the hospital. It was nice and quiet. Everyone working there was so nice. What I enjoyed the most is seeing the parents faces when they saw their baby girl for the first time. I had tears in my eyes. It was so beautiful to watch. I didn't enjoy leaving. I wanted to stay and see more babies. It was such a warm environment to be in.

My mentor this week was Shayna Fredman. She is a Labor and delivery nurse. She was so nice and caring. She was a really great mentor. I feel like my personality fits great with this job because I know that I am a caring and patient person. This is the type of a job that needs someone with these characteristics.

This experience helped me grow as a person. It made me realize how dealing with peoples lives is very important. As a student I realized that you need to be very responsible while working at the hospital. As a young adult nearing my high school graduation, I have come to the conclusion hat continuing with school is very important and it is something that must be done if I want to have a job that I enjoy going to. I had such a great time this week.