Thursday, November 3, 2011

Kristen T's Informational Interview with a Baker

For this interview I decided to interview my aunt, Debbie Schmidt. She works as the head baker at Hoffman Estates High School. My aunt has been working at her job for a little over 3 years and she loves every second of it. I have never met someone so excited to go to work every day. I decided to interview her because she is somebody that is very dedicated to her job and not only does it have a little to do with event planning but I also love baking.

Before this job my aunt has always been involved with planning events for the school that her son goes too. She is always planning things for grammar school carnivals and other events that go on with the grammar school. She is great at planning events and always has the best ideas and imagination. She loves everything about her job but she especially loves the holidays because she loves making and decorating special things/food for the students. Whichever events the school is holding she is the one that cooks and plans everything for it. There are not many challenges that come along with her job because she makes most of the decisions one challenge though is she has to do pretty much everything which can get tough at times. Another problem that she goes through daily is that being a petite woman she always has to life big appliances in the kitchen and being very small it is hard for her.

The advice my aunt gave me for this particular field was that I should never give up on my dream job, also that I need to be very dedicated to which ever job I’m interested in. She also told me her motto “when the going gets tough, the tough get going.” My aunt thinks that in the next ten to twenty years they won’t even have bakers and everything will be run through companies.