Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Maddie M.'s Experience at the Adler School of Professional Psychology

This week we went out in the field on Monday it was a great day for me! I had so much fun! I was able to shadow a professor in the field I plan on pursuing. Professor Gail Roy is an art therapist professor at the Adler School of Professional Psychology. Being there and hearing her stories of how she got to where she is today was an amazing story. She went to a community college and then decided she wanted to get a higher education for herself and her family so he went to a university and majored in art education. She taught a few years as an art teacher until she realized that she wasn't really helping anyone like she wanted to. She went back so school and go a degree in art therapy. She was able to find a job right out of school. She was teaching one class and the rest of the day she was able to use art therapy to help the children at the school. She was teaching at and underprivileged school on the south side and said that she felt like she was really making a difference in the lives of these children. This sounds just like what I wish to do I want to help people and use my love of art to help them express themselves through art. She helped me realized that when I am doing art I express myself better than I would if I was speaking to someone. I think I am on the path to the career for me!