Thursday, November 3, 2011

Shannon B.'s Childcare Experience

My experience this week in practicum was unforgettable. We were in the field one day and in the classroom the other day. While working in the classroom, we got to go to the tech lab and research interesting jobs. I was able to read and learn about jobs I have never even heard of. My favorite jobs I saw listed were a nurse, occupational therapist and a vet. Researching on the computer about various types of jobs helped me come to a better understanding on what I want to be when I'm older.

This week in the field I went to child care. Earlier this month I worked with toddlers from the ages of one to two. This week I worked with infants whose ages ranged from three months old to seven months old. I was able to play with them, feed them, and hold them. All of my friends and family say I am great with babies therefore I feel as if child care is a perfect fit for me. My mentors were extremely welcoming and friendly. They allowed me to do hands-on activities. I was able to make the bottles, feed the babies, and burp them. The atmosphere in child care was very warm and welcoming which made it easy for me to picture myself working in child care in the future. From what I learned in the classroom helped me this week in child care. I was very patient, friendly, and helpful. The babies were extremely cute and happy which made the time fly by so fast. My experience in practicum this week helped me grow a a person because even if I do not go into child care as my profession, it helped prepare me for my future when I have children and a family.

My experience helped me grow as a student because I can focus on classes that correspond with child care. I am taking Child Development as an elective next year which will help me receive a better education which can help me get a job in child care. My experience this week helped me grow as a future graduate because I know what to look for in a college now and what they provide to fit my desired profession. Overall, my experience in practicum was a lot of fun.