Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Shannon B. in Family Practice

My experience in practicum this week was great. I spent two days in the classroom, and one day in the field. While in the classroom, we learned about fields dealing with people's problems and needs. We read about a variety of jobs and chose our top ten that we would consider doing in the future. I found out that I love to help people. I would like to feed the hungry, do task for people that they can't do, take care of children, keep people healthy, listen to people, make people happy and rescue animals fom danger. This applies to what I want to do in the future because whatever my job may be, I want to be helping people. Also we found top things we want to be remembered for in the future. My top three choices were influencing people, causing change and serving people in need.

While I was in the field, I went to family practice. I was able to see a case of possible pink eye as well as people dealing with broken bones. It was neat to see how the doctors and nurses respond to each issue and help their patients. I learned that I desire to help people and that I am friendly and patient. One thing I didn't enjoy was waiting in the office for patients to come in. Usually Friday mornings are extremely busy, but when I was there it wasn't. This week I worked with a nurse named Jamie. She was extremely friendly, funny, and welcoming. My experience this week helped me grow as a person because I became more focused on everyday issues. It helped me grow as a student because I now know what I am interested in. It helped me grow as a young adult nearing high school graduation because I can look for majors at schools that offer nursing. Overall, my experience this week was unforgettable.