Thursday, November 3, 2011

Lauren R's Classroom Experience

This week in Practicum, we stayed in the classroom working with Ms. Cunniff and learned about different roles we take in our lives. After taking the quiz in the book, I found out that my roles include: mother, comedian, extrovert, team member, networker, deal maker, free spirit, manager, street wise person, protector, investigator, and peacemaker. I learned a lot about each of these roles, and it made me think about how they fit into my life. It made me realize a lot about myself that I didn’t really think about before. It also got me to think about careers that will match my natural roles. Being a police officer would be a good fit with investigator, street wise person, and protector. Getting into the computer programming field may not match with these, but it still remains a large interest for me. Hopefully after shadowing different computer- related careers, I can find out how my natural roles will fit in them.

Also in practicum this week, we had a guest speaker come in and talk about the entire the hospital and the different careers we will be shadowing there. Although it may not seem that way, this was my favorite part of the week. It got me excited for my first shadow day in surgery on Tuesday. The only part that I did not enjoy was that we were not yet in the field. The personality quizzes are interesting, but I am very eager to go out into the field and really experience the different careers that we keep learning about.

This experience helped me grow by making me realize my natural roles, and wanting o put them into use. After reading over my reflection, I realize that I am really excited to go into the field, but hope to learn more about myself in the classroom as well.