Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Alison C. in the Special Care Nursery

This week in Practicum I went to the Special Care Nursery at Family Birth. There was really nothing going on in Family Birth, so I went to the Special Care Nursery and worked with Myra. I loved working with the babies and I even got to hold a premature baby for around an hour. Myra told me that Premies in the NICU love to be held because it shows them that they are cared about and loved even when their parents arent there, so I held baby Leigha for an hour. She was so adorable and was sleeping in my arms!

I loved this job and I enjoyed holding the baby and learning more about what happens in the NICU. Myra gave me really good advice and told me that if I wanted to go into the Neonatal field that I should be a doctor instead of a nurse. She really took an interest in me and gave me good advice and I really appreciated how she trusted me to hold the baby.

I really got to see the caring and nurturing part of me coming out and I loved the feeling I got when I was at the NICU. I'm so looking forward to going back and possibly going into that field. This experience made me grow as a person because it showed me a possible career I could go into later in life.

After re-reading my blog this week, it reminded me of how much I loved the NICU and that I am seriously considering becoming a neonatologist in the future. It was a career that I had never really thought about or considered before, but now I really am considering going into the Neonatal field. I had such an amazing time at Practicum this week and I cannot wait to go back to Family Birth!