Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Josie on Athletic Training

This past week, practicum was a great experience. I not only studied in the classroom, but I went out into the field for Athletic Training. While doing classwork, we worked on a petal for our flower. The petal was number four and consists of our values which we evaluated on our own. In the classroom, I learned what my values are and what order I act on them. It is not always easy following my own values, but with practicing them I get one step closer to becoming the person I would like to be. While in the field I learned that in athletic training it will not always be full-speed ahead. There are slower points in the day that the athletic trainer will take advantage f to do paper work. I understand that it may not always be fun, especially when doing paper work. However, I love to work with people so I believe I will do a good job at being an athletic trainer.

One specific thing I enjoyed the most this week was working with the athletic trainer at Resurrection College Prep. Caitlin Gash is extremely nice and patient with the athletes that she helps. She is always willing to help someone even if it is just a simple question. She understands her job as an athletic trainer and does her best. She makes this career very inviting job. One thing I did not like this week was not being able to go into the field during the day. I am always excited to go into the field, therefore I want to go out as much as possible to get the best experiences and see it from all of the different angles.

Being an athletic trainer, some of the natural roles include being a teacher, a caregiver, and being a guide or a coach. My natural roles include these as well. Also, one has to be positive and willing to help at a moment’s notice which I am always ready to do. I believe that my traits do fit into this career because I am a very caring, willing, and helpful person. This experience helped me grow as a student because I learned more about what it takes to be an athletic trainer.

I grew as a person because I learned about my values and how to move forward in life. Also, I grew as a young adult nearing high school graduation because it enhanced my interest in my intended field of study. I feel good about myself because it helps me get a better hold on myself and my future and what I want to do.