Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tatiana S. at an Accounting Firm

My experience this week was at a small account/business place. In the classroom this week we worked on Thank You cards and I finished all of mine, but the accounting one just because I've only been there once.

This week I learned that I am good at math because when I got to my placement, I started to figure out how they got the numbers they had and try to understand it on my own. This showed me that this career field really did spark an interest in me. I also found out that I could definitely do something in business or even event planning just because I like being formal and organizing things.

The thing I enjoyed the most was accounting because it opened my eyes onto what my career could be like in the future and it just excites me even more. I think what made me enjoy it was that I was given time to understand the information that was given to me, not to mention that I was actually trying to figure it out on my own terms.

What I did not like this week was probably the fact that the company was not so big. To me, I feel like I would be overwhelmed by so much because they care of individual businesses as well as their finances, letters, pay roll, and more. I would rather work in a big firm more specifically in a fashion industry.

This week I worked with Jackie in accounting. The natural roles she has would have to be able to communicate with people well. I also think she was very organized. I think my own personality is some what similar to Jackie just because I am a very organized person and I enjoy being organized. This business that they work in I just feel doesn’t necessarily involves contact with people which is one of my issues but I did enjoy it.

This experience helped me grow as a person by showing me that organization is a key role in a job. It helped me grow as a student by opening my mind to accounting since not that many people like it. It helped me grow as a young adult because it's making me become more realistic in what I want in a career.