Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Sarah G. at Notre Dame's Special Education Program

This week in practicum, I had two field days and I went to Notre Dame both times. At first, special education was actually just a career I wanted to learn more about. I thought this because I was not sure if I was cut out to be a good special education teacher. It turned out that I absolutely loved it, everything about it actually. I went over and taught the boys math. It was so much fun. The boys were so great and welcoming I did not feel uncomfortable at all. The first day was when I really realized how much I actually did love it. It just such a rewarding job because you feel so good about yourself. You just feel so happy and proud that you made a difference in someone’s life. They were all so polite and they were the reason I loved it so much actually. They were great kids. I would love to have this as my career because it made me feel so good inside. The only thing I did not like was I wish I could have spent more time with them. It was such an amazing experience working the kids I wish I could have stayed longer.

After both of the visits, I realized this could be something that I might want my future career to be. I never thought of myself as someone that could be a teacher, but I realized how amazing of a job it actually was. This is definitely one of my top career choices now after my experiences at ND. I just have to make my final decision between a special education teacher and a nurse. I am so lucky and happy I got to work with that program because it opened my eyes to a million more opportunities and career choices.