Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Magdalena R.'s Experience with the ABA

This week's Practicum experience was truly an amazing experience! I worked in the Marketing field with the American Bar Association. I learned many things specifically about what the ABA team does as well as what the job of Marketing/Management consists of.

I arrived at the Hilton in downtown Chicago to attend the ABA Tech Show. The show was set up for lawyers from all over the country. I worked with Mrs. Tami Behland who works as the Manager of Travel Services in the ABA company. Before her new position, she worked only with the Marketing part of the business. This week, I really enjoyed being able to see a job I'm interested in, in action. I was even able to help out with a few things around the ABA table.

As I thought more about what career would fit me for the future, I found it even more challenging. I found many of my personal skills useful in the job of Marketing or Managing. You need to be very organized to have everything running smoothly, you have to be able to talk to people with confidence and with persuasion, and you have to add your own creativity to grab peoples' attention. Although it is not the easiest major to find a job far, Mrs. Behland told me that it's important to start at the bottom and to go up from there. I really felt comfortable at the event and as if I could one day do a similar job. I know this is an amazing experience for someone of my age, and I am so thankful for it.

After this week, I have yet again realized that narrowing down my major or career choice will be very tough.