Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Kelly B. in a Special Education Classroom

This week I was in the field twice. I attended child care and Sauganash Elementary School. Child Care was the same as it has been! I love seeing the kids and enjoy playing with each and every one of them. This week I went somewhere new and loved it! I went to Sauganash School and had so much fun. I worked with Mrs. Knorr, and MR. Kennedy. At first, I worked with Mr. Kennedy who had kindergartens, and first graders who all had disabilities. I got the chance to teach them about money. They were great kids! I didn’t want to leave. They were so sweet and listened so well. Even though they had disabilities, they were no different then any other young kid. They loved to smile and have fun, so I played games with them with the money so the lesson wasn’t so boring.

After their math lesson they went back to their regular class room to learn some more. I next worked with Mrs. Knorr. She teaches six, seventh, and eight graders, who all have disabilities. She has a very difficult and busy schedule. She has to make sure she has every lesson plan for every student and what they are learning in their current class rooms. I also got to see how she taught math. She sat at a table with the seventh graders and made it a visible lesson so the kids understood better. She pulled out blocks because she was teaching them about ratios. It was a great lesson!

Mrs. Knorr then showed me some of their notes and when they are in class with their peers, how the teacher makes it easier for them, but they also have to pay attention. In one boy’s notebook there was fill in the blank notes. If he had to write all the notes that his teacher had, he would have never been able to keep up. So she wrote most of the notes, and he just had to fill in key words. It was very unique to see how the teacher did this. I also thought it was very understanding and kind of her because she knows they do have disabilities and sometimes have hard times. Although these kids are very smart too, I got to learn a lot about they and I loved it. This placement was my favorite place to go!