Thursday, May 3, 2012

Amy K. Pondering Her Future

Practicum has been very beneficial to me, especially for my senior year. I have been undecided of what I want to study in college and still am. Fortunately, Practicum has helped me in various ways to have a better interest of what to study for in college. I have visited multiple placements but one that really interested me for a career is special education. I worked with Ms. Knorr at all of my placements and she has been a great and helpful mentor to me. I had the chance to work with her students and see what her job is actually like. I enjoyed being able to work with the kids and actually experience part of her job for myself. I liked helping and leading the children with their work, it felt great to know I was making a difference. I want a career where I have the chance to work with and help people and special education is a good chance for me to be able to do so. Not only did I enjoy my placements with my mentor, I think deciding to interview her about her job has also helped me to lean towards special education. She told me about the rewarding and satisfying feeling she gets from doing her job-two feelings I would love to feel in my future career. Working and talking with Ms. Knorr has motivated me to keep special education something to consider in college and hopefully as a life time career. Also, I am a person who is patient, caring loving, and hard working. I believe that one day, I will be able to apply those personality traits not only into a career of special education, but any career. Although I am running out of time and will need to decide soon, the Practicum program has helped me to see careers that I do not like and careers that I should consider to look into for the future.