Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Sara D. at the Chamber of Commerce in Edison Park

This week in Practicum I went to the Edison Park Chamber of Commerce. This was the first time at this placement. While at this placement we first talked about the other placements I have been to, and about what college I want to attend. Than we began to talk about what Alison, my mentor does. I told her that I knew they were in charge of Edison Park Fest, but they she told me about the other events she plans and how they plan Edison Park Fest. After talking for a while she had me help her with some work. I had to type the names and information of the family events that are going to be at Edison Park Fest in a Excel document. When I was done with that I had to type up another paper with names and information of people for an Ad Bag. Then before I left she asked me to take a letter to the mail box, so I went on a little walk around the block to the mailbox.

During this placement I learned that I am a lot better at Excel than I thought I was. I also learned that event planning is a lot of paper work and contacting of people. While I was doing the typing Alison was on the phone talking with different customers. The thing I enjoyed the most about this placement was that I kind of got a sneak peek at the events and different activities that will be at Edison Park Fest this year. This placement was very fun because I liked how I was able to be a part of the work and get it done for her. I worked with Alison and she is the event planner of the Edison Park Chamber of Commerce. During this placement I learned that you need to have a lot of patience and be able to communicate with people very well. For me my traits fit this because I am a patient person and even though I do not enjoy communicating with people I am still a good communicator when necessary.

This placement helped me to grow as a student because I believe that it is something that I might enjoy when I am older. I found it fun and exciting being able to get the first hands on, on things and large events. After rereading my reflection I feel very good about myself and I feel like this placement really fit me. I enjoyed it a lot.