Tuesday, April 3, 2012

GiAnna L.'s Experience at St. Eugene

This week we had the privilege of being in the field both days of class. I had a good experience at St. Eugene and learned that I need to be more confident in myself and the knowledge that I have in order to help the kids in the class room. I realized that I do know what I am talking about and I do have the skills it takes to be a teacher, I just need to apply them every day in order for the kids to be confident in me and in themselves. One thing that I truly enjoyed about this week was getting to teach the kids counting coins. It was a good experience because some kids understood it, so I got the pleasure of watching some grow, as well as getting the opportunity to work with those who struggled.

I loved being in the field this week and being around the kids. There was nothing that I could think of, in my week, that I did not enjoy. It was a very satisfying experience. I got to once again, work with the second grade teacher, Mrs. Glynn. She not only allows me to get involved but she also takes the time to sit and talk with me about my plans for the future and college. Once again this week I practiced being patient and had to think of different ways to help those who struggled. I learned that sometimes not ever concept works for all students and you are forced to think of ways on the spot.

This experience helped me to grow as a person because it made me realize that I have to be confident in myself in order for the kids to be confident in what I am teaching them. I have to make they trust me and I have to trust myself that I know enough to help them. Rereading my essay made me very pleased about the week I had but sad to see that Practicum is coming to an end and soon I will have to face this in the real world!