Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Sara S. in Speech Pathology

This week at Speech Pathology I learned about myself that I am becoming more and more interested in this field. I also realized how much I loved working with the younger children at Speech because it is almost like a tutoring session and it is very upbeat and fun. One specific thing I enjoyed about my placement this week was that I was able to sit in on two sessions again. I worked with Carla again and I also worked with Marissa. The first session I went to was for Marissa’s patient who was a young boy. For Carla’s patient, it was another man who had a stroke and he has been going to therapy for a while so I was able to see how improved he was.

The natural roles and personality traits that I observed for myself in my placement this week were that I was very patient, understanding, excited, and helpful. These traits fit in with my placement because during my time with Marissa’s younger patient, I was able to help and join in their activities. This experience helped me grow as a person by realizing how mature and understanding you have to be with the younger kids and as a student by learning how to work with the kids to have them cooperate as much as they can. As a young adult nearing high school, this experience helped me grow by honestly narrowing down my choices with what I want to do and how I feel my personality would work with being a Speech Pathologist. By re-reading my essay I feel that I learned I am really interested in Speech Pathology especially in the pediatric field.