Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Megan C. in Dentistry

I really enjoyed my experience in practicum this week; I had a lot of fun. This week on Tuesday I went to the dentist's office. I shadowed Mrs. Annie Davis at Dr. Biasello’s office. Mrs. Davis is a Dental Hygienist. I went to the dentist office that Mrs. Davis works at and I was able to shadow her and see what her job consisted of. When I got there Mrs. Davis was about to work on new patient to the dentist office. The patient came in for a teeth cleaning, and because she also was having pain with teeth because a couple of her teeth were sensitive. I was able to see what it is like when you get your teeth cleaned at the dentist. Mrs. Davis asked the patient questions such as when are her teeth sensitive, what type of tooth paste she uses, what type of tooth brush she uses, and she asked if the patient grinds her teeth. After asking the patient questions Mrs. Davis the Dental Hygienist, began to clean the patient’s teeth. She used tools to clean off plaque and also cleaned between the patient’s teeth and gums. The patient also got a paste put on her teeth that were sensitive to help take away the pain. After Mrs. Davis was done with cleaning the patient’s teeth Dr. Blasello who is a dentist came in to check the patient’s teeth. I also was able to talk to Mrs. Davis about what type of schooling it takes to be a Dental Hygienist.

This week I was only in the classroom on Thursday. We went over our placements for next week. Then we began to look at what a resume is made up off. Then once we saw all different types of resumes we went to the Tech lab and began to write our own resume. I found it a little challenging to write my resume trying to figure out what was best to put on it. I was proud of myself when I looked at all of the activities and volunteer work that I have participated in. I hope that my resume has all the right elements that will help me get a job. MY experience in practicum this week helped me grow as a person because I was able to look back and see all the activates that I was participated in that will maybe help me get a job in the future. My experience this week in practicum helped me grow as a student because I learned new fun exciting things at the dentist. Finally my experiences helped me grow as a young adult nearing high school graduation because I was able to shadow a Dental Hygienist and that is possible a career that I might want to have when I am older.