Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Katie H. at the Retirement Center

This week in practicum I went to the Resurrection Retirement Center to observe the work of the activities director as well as experience working with the elderly. I was nervous and excited to go to the retirement center because it was my first placement there. I really enjoyed my experience. When I arrived, each employee was very friendly and helpful in finding where I was supposed to go. When I met up with Rita, she told me a little about her career as she led me to the computer lab. She then instructed me to help and teach the elderly about any computer questions they have. I really loved working with the elderly because they were so kind and grateful for the help I gave them. It was rewarding to see the bright smiles on their faces. But I least enjoyed that I was not able to talk with Rita very much about her career and what her specific duties are. I wish I had more time with her!

On Wednesday, we stayed in the classroom and learned about resumes. We also began to create our own. I really enjoyed this because we learned about something that will soon be very useful to us. Also, by beginning a resume we are preparing for our future careers and finding all of the important details to put on a resume. Reflecting on the last week, I really enjoyed my experience at the retirement center. Also, I enjoyed learning about what to put on a resume. These events helped me prepare for life as a student nearing the end of high school. They have taught me what is important to say on a resume as well as brought up another career option for my future. I am very grateful that I had the opportunity to visit the Retirement Center.