Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Elena H. in Surgery

This week in practicum I was privileged enough to experience a BRAIN BIOPSY! This was the most interesting, fun, and exciting thing I have ever done. The entire experience just swept me off my feet and I really had the best time. I was in the field, in the O.R., with Linda Kane. She was so great at answering all of my questions, and I really appreciated all of her help. I learned that seeing a scalp cup open and all that blood (eek!) didn’t really phase me at all. I also learned tons about anesthesiology.

I learned that any type of medical field is a lot of schooling but for anesthesiology you can be a nurse anesthetist and work under a anesthesiologist. The thing that I obviously enjoyed the most was the brain biopsy and having the surgeon talk to me about what he was doing during the biopsy and showing me the inside the patients brain. He showed me how to pinpoint a tumor, where this person’s previous tumor was, and important parts of the brain. This week there was not a thing that I did not enjoy.

Class today was fun and I enjoyed writing my own resume. I worked with Linda Kane, as stated above. She was really informative, welcoming, helpful, and pleasant to shadow. I really enjoyed everything about my placement and the helping hand from her. Natural roles that I think come into play are lifelong learner, right hand person, and leader. I think those three natural roles will really allow me to excel in the medical field. This experience truly helped me grow as a young adult nearing high school graduation, because as each placement goes by, I become more and more aware of just what I wouldn’t mind doing for the rest of my life. As I re-read my essay, I feel very accomplished. All of the things that seemed impossible are now coming within reach and I couldn’t be happier.