Thursday, February 23, 2012

Theresa L.: Realizations about Occupational Therapy

Before going to OT for placement, I had been considering it as something I may pursue as a career. And while it was fun to watch Minnie with her patients, it made me realize this career isn’t the one for me. Because occupational therapy focuses more on the upper body, OT’s do a lot of sitting, which I can’t do for long periods. OT requires a lot of patience, as some of the procedures can take longer than others, and quite a bit of observation. While Minnie did ask her patients questions and gave them tests to do, she also watched how they were doing throughout it.

Being able to watch an occupational therapist work was a bit eye-opening to me. It showed me that just because something sounds good, doesn’t mean it is always right for you. Looking back on this reflection, I am grateful that I had the chance to go and watch OT at work. While it may not have been the right fit for me, it was still a great experience and I really enjoyed it.