Thursday, February 23, 2012

Kelly T. on Being a Math Teacher

On Thursday I went to Immaculate Conception. At IC, I went to the 8th grade math class with Mrs. Bott. In the classroom, I observed the students learning how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide exponents. Also, in IC they are currently working with stocks. After the math class, the students went to their auditorium and Skyped with a stock broker, Mr. Paul Benson. The students asked him different questions on how the stock market works and he gladly answered them. This was a neat thing to watch. I picked up some helpful tips from him that I can use in my stocks. I learned that math is not an easy subject to teach because the children need to have full attention to every detail given. The students also had many questions which tells me that to be able to be this teacher I need, patience, care, and I have to be able to understand what the students need. I most enjoyed watching the teacher help the students. I didn’t enjoy though, how she taught the class. For me, I thought it was very boring and just a hard class to sit through. I observed my own natural talents and personality traits being used by the way I had to help the students. I observed that I am very patient, and caring with the students.
This experience helped me grow as a person by showing me how truly honored I am to be able to receive such a good education that I knew how to do the math. I know it is only 8th grade math but I felt really good about myself going in there and knowing everything they were doing. I also grew as a student because I had to act respectable adult going into this school and I had to be on my best behavior to show a good image for Resurrection. That also helped me grow as a young adult nearing high school graduation. After rereading this reflection, I feel very connected to becoming a math teacher. I love math, I love helping people. I love supporting others as well. It made me feel good to be needed.