Thursday, February 23, 2012

Mia M. on Careers and Shadowing a Physician's Assistant

My experience in practicum this week was very enjoyable and interesting. I was in the field for the first time, and I shadowed Tracy Buxton, a Physician Assistant. Besides being in the field, I researched information about engineering, as well as information about the fifty best jobs of 2011. I felt like this week was very productive and informational
In the field, I learned many things about being a physician assistant. Tracy talked to me a lot about the educational requirements and the daily tasks that she performs on the job. I also had the opportunity to shadow Tracy as she treated two patients, which was very cool. I like the fact that there is a lot of diversity and flexibility in this job. Tracy also told me that this career is growing which is definitely good news. Because a physician assistant is not a doctor, there is also the opportunity to have time to your self. I was glad to hear this because that is really important to me. I don’t want my job to consume every minute of every day. As I shadowed Tracy, I enjoyed her role and tasks that she performed and I felt comfortable in the atmosphere. I observed that my natural roles fit in well with this career. I am useful, energetic, independent, and alert which are all required in being a physician assistant. Tracy also told me that you learn from experience, and one of my character traits is that I learn by doing. This job was very enjoyable, and I think I would make a good physician assistant.

Another activity I enjoyed this week was learning about different careers. I learned about the jobs that are expanding and offer well rewarded salaries. I found this information very useful and interesting. I discovered that I have an interest in physical therapy. I like that, as a physical therapist, I would be able to utilize my social skills as well as implement medical knowledge. Also, physical therapists make a very decent salary. I cannot wait to shadow physical therapy because I definitely vision it as a future career.

My experiences this week helped me to grow as a student. Tracy talked to me a lot about education which inspired me to remain focused and diligent. Sometimes I get stressed or discouraged and my focus strays off course, but Tracy gave me that little push I needed. I feel like this week was really useful and I am excited to keep learning about different careers.