Thursday, February 23, 2012

Amanda T. Reflects on Nursing

On Thursday, I went to the Resurrection hospital family practice. Here, I worked mostly with Jenny, RN and a couple other nurses. When I first got there I shadowed a nurse who was taking care of a patient. This patient was not feeling well and did not know what was wrong. I watched the nurse take some tests in the lab. The tests came up negative and the nurse still could not figure out what was wrong so I watched her take blood from the patient for another test. While waiting for results, the nurse showed me how to prepare a room and where all of the supplies are located. At the end of the placement I talked to a couple of nurses and learned their backgrounds and was able to ask questions.

I learned that I really enjoyed going to family practice. Also, I learned that I am comfortable in this type of setting. Nursing can sometimes be demanding however the day that I visited, they were slow. Furthermore, I learned that nursing gives you many job opportunities and is not limiting. The thing that I enjoyed the most was doing the tests.