Monday, February 14, 2011

Annmarie Observing Surgery

"I was able to experience two major surgeries, a uterus being taken out of a body and someone who had prostate cancer was being operated on by the doctor who used the robot arms to get inside of him. I learned a TON of things from the nurses that I shadowed. Amanda, a nurse who works in the "core" of all the operating rooms, taught me how she prepares the instruments for all the surgeries every day... One specific thing I enjoyed most was how the nurses didn't treat me like I was a teenager. They talked to me as if I was a med student and they were mentoring me. That made me feel grown up and I felt like they were glad I was there...

My experience helped me grow as a person because I was treated like an adult, so I had to act like one. No one was holding my hand and telling me everything. If I wanted to know something, I had to speak up and ask my question myself."