Friday, December 2, 2011

Jackie B.'s Excitement in the ER

On the 21st of November, I went to the Emergency Room for my fourth time. When I arrived my nurse had already a few patients that she was taking care of in their rooms. One of her patients was telling her that she woke up with the left side of her face drooping. The nurse that I was shadowing was thinking that she could have had a stroke and or be having one at the moment. The nurse and I had to wheel the women to a department where they have MRI’s and CAT Scans. We had five minutes to get the patient to have a MRI before something could happen. We really had to rush. I helped the nurse with wheeling the patient to the MRI department and then the nurse let me hold and carry her papers. It was really cool because I got to see how the Emergency Room nurses get a patient to the MRI and CAT Scan rooms. I also got to see the people who control the machines and how they work. The other patient that she had was a possible cardiac arrest, when the patient got to the hospital; the nurses had to hook them up to a machine that checks their heart rate and they also had to draw his blood tests. By the end of my time there, she had another patient coming in but, I wasn’t able to see what happened to the patient. That was my last day to be in the Emergency Room and I got to see a lot of things happen that are also different from the other times I had gone there. The Emergency Room was my favorite placement because it’s very exciting and you never know what will come in and what will happen.