Thursday, March 10, 2011

Surgery and Detective Shadowing

Here are a few updates...

Annemarie:
"I had a phenomenal experience this week in Practicum. I had the chance to be in the field of surgery twice this week. On Tuesday, I scrubbed in and stood in the operating room while the procedure was going on. I got to stand right next to one of the assisting nurses while robotic arms removed a patient's uterus. The nurses talked me through, step by step, the entire thing... I saw from the very beginning when they made the first cut to when the patient was being wheeled to recovery... It was a great experience for me as a student because I could ask as many questions as I wanted."

Melissa:
After observing at a police station and with detectives who specialize in internet crimes, she wrote:
"I feel like this is one of the coolest experiences I've been through. I am getting a feel for what I want to do after college. All this time, I could've thought I wanted to work in law enforcement, but in reality, I could have hated it. I would've spent so much money on college courses for something that may not have fit me. Because of my Practicum experience, I know when I go to college, I will be investing money in classes that interest me. They will also help me to pursue my career goals."